Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Sweet Corn

When it comes to my Grandma's cooking, it's impossible to pick one favorite (or even 5 favorites).  Sweet corn, however, is one thing I always look forward to enjoying.  Last time we went to visit it happened to be perfect timing for when the sweet corn was "in."  This basically means it's ready for picking!  We headed out to the sweet corn fields after church one morning to pick a few of our own. 


I was surprised sweet corn plants are so baby-  I had to head out to the field corn for comparison. 


After we'd picked a couple bags, we headed home to continue the process of shucking and cleaning them up.  My Grandma was much speedier at this process than we were.  Apparently she's a little more experienced than us ;)


Next, we cut the corn off the cob and boiled it for a few minutes to "blanche" it. We made quite a few bags for the freezer and have been enjoying it ever since.  Tonight, Mike cooked it up in a frying pan with some butter.  It was so delicious! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE sweet corn. I blame my state of Nebraska.
    P.S. I love your background!

    ReplyDelete