Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Crispy Parmesan Ranch Chicken Fingers

We often make attempts at various seasoning/bread crumb combinations that result in dinners of mediocre chicken fingers.  However, tonight's were delicious!  When I saw this recipe, I was excited as it claimed it held the secret to crispy nuggets.  I also encountered two new things in making this meal: buttermilk and panko (yes, I know, these are probably not new to anyone else who's ever stepped foot in a kitchen).  When I first opened the buttermilk I was very disturbed by the consistency and the sour smell.  After doing some research on the web I discovered these were normal characteristics and I could continue with the recipe.  I was horrified to learn, however, that some people actually drink this stuff as the smell of it alone had me gagging! 

2 cups low fat buttermilk
1 packet dry Ranch seasoning
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cut into "fingers"
2 cups panko
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Combine buttermilk and one half of the Ranch seasoning packet in a large bowl.  Place chicken pieces in mix and marinate a few hours or overnight.
Combine panko, flour, cheese, and remainder of ranch seasoning in a bowl.  Dip the marinated chicken breasts into the mix and place on a wire rack sitting on a baking sheet.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.  Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes, flip, spray other side, bake another 7-9 minutes until cooked through.  (I had very thin pieces so you might need a longer cooking time.)

I sadly forgot to take pictures as it smelled so good we dug right in.  The one below is of the leftovers in the refrigerator but you get the idea.  (plus taking the picture was a good excuse for me to snag the little bite for a snack!) Enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of howsweeteats.com

2 comments:

  1. haha buttermilk is pretty much the grossest thing ever. You can also make your own buttermilk by combining milk and vinegar and letting it sit for a few minutes.
    And yes, that little piece looks incredibly snaggable :)
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. good tip! They only had huge cartons so I ended up throwing out quite a bit. I'll try this next time!

    ReplyDelete