Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday Run

I decided to take advantage of the not-quite-as-miserably-hot morning today and the fact that I found a slightly less hilly area nearby to get in a good run.  Most of the streets immediately around us are major roads with no sidewalks so I was excited to find a large, new neighborhood filled with sidewalks and trails about a mile from our house.  For those of you from Gainesville, it reminds me of Haile Village Center with lots of shops and a mix of single family homes, townhouses, condos, shops, etc.  Mike dropped me off a little before seven (the road to get there is STEEP and I didn't want to be burned out before I even got started).  This was my first run with my Garmin GPS watch that we got back in May.  Apparently tall, city buildings are really good at blocking the satellites and it never worked well downtown.  I was pleasantly surprised by it's performance today!  I didn't use any of the advanced features for my first go, but enjoyed knowing my exact pace, time, distance, etc.  I planned on doing 5 miles and then walking home but a little way into my walk home I got bored and decided to just run it out.  The watch tells me my total stats:

and my splits:
Mile 1 - 9:54
Mile 2 - 10:15
Mile 3 - 9:52
Mile 4 - 10:07
Mile 5 - 10:16
Mile 6 - 10:51
Pretty cool!

When I got home, I wanted something cold for breakfast so I decided to make a new smoothie I'd been wanting to try.  It was amazing!  Mike, who is a self-proclaimed smoothie master, admitted it was the best he's had too.

Ingredients:
~5 ice cubes
3/4 cup frozen strawberries
1 banana (I couldn't get the frozen one out of it's peel so I used a fresh one)
handful of fresh blueberries
half a handful of frozen chopped spinach
1 scoop stawberry Whey Protein powder
Splash of vanilla flavored almond milk (if you haven't had this stuff, go to the store now and get some- it's life changing.  I could seriously drink a carton of it every day. mmmm!)
1/2 a cup regular milk

Blend it all up and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. ohemgee I am loving the new blog format and all the posts! I wish we had some not-so-hot weather- this morning was waayyyy too hot to run outside. Also this smoothie looks delish. Although I prefer all frozen fruit and no ice. Peel the banana and break it in half before you freeze it!
    <3 you,
    J

    ReplyDelete