Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Caramel Corn

While mostly I am a cookie monster, I actually have an affinity for all things sweet.  One of my favorite sugary treats is one of my Mom's specialties: homemade caramel corn.  I have fond memories of this being made in our house for the holidays (and sometimes just because).  I remember the popcorn being measured out of a big container and popped in the air popper, squealing as the caramel bubbled way up in the pan, and waiting what seemed like forever for it to bake when it already looked ready to me.

Mike and I decided to try our hand at the recipe one night.  It was a little scary as I envisioned a sticky mess over our stove, counters and pans, but it turned out to be a complete success!!

Ingredients:
5 quarts popped plain popcorn (about 2 microwave bags)
2 cups brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda

Pop popcorn.

Prep pans by spreading out popcorn.

Add butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup to a large pan. 

Heat over medium-low heat, stirring to combine.

Stir ingredients until they boil.  Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. (it will grow!)

Remove pan from heat.  Add baking soda.  

Stir to combine (it will grow some more!). 

Pour over corn.  Spread as evenly as possible.  It will be very sticky and hard to do! (My mom seemed to have a much better handle on this than we did... maybe it takes practice!)

Bake at 200 degrees for 1 hour.

Cool and Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog. Wish I was there to share all that with you. Yum.

    ReplyDelete